Telford Council Tax set to rise.

Telford Council Tax set to rise.

Council will implement a 3.2% council tax increase (60p per week for the borough’s average band B home) agreed as part of the Budget Strategy consulted upon last year, with all of the money from the increase invested into Adult Social Care and Children’s Services which now account for 70% of Council expenditure.

This increase is expected to see Telford & Wrekin continuing to have the lowest Council Tax in the West Midlands and amongst the lowest of any Unitary Authority in the country.

15 thoughts on “Telford Council Tax set to rise.

• January 2, 2019 at 8:30 pm

Can someone then please give me a wage rise to compensate for the tax increase

• January 2, 2019 at 9:03 pm

I’ll make this clear… council income is derived from Central Government Grant and Council Tax. Bearing in mind the government is continuing reducing the Central Government Grant by massive amounts, then Council Tax has to rise – in order to make up the difference…

• January 2, 2019 at 9:07 pm

Don’t mind me, I’m here waiting for the Train station bridge comments.

• January 2, 2019 at 9:20 pm

I don’t believe that it does account for 70 % of the Councils expenditure.
    What percentage is spent on Council staff pensions?

• January 3, 2019 at 9:26 am

Living outside of Telford in a rural location , apart from my bins being emptied I don’t get anything else. The lane I live in is unadopted and full of potholes. There is no library. No shop. Nearest is Shawbirch 3 miles away. No school but I have no young children who need one. even broadband is rubbish over old copper telephone lines. I am subsidising affluent Telford and lazy unemployed spongers in their council houses who refuse to go out and work. I have had no pay rise in over 5 years from my employer.

• January 3, 2019 at 9:53 am

The £2m not-really-50th birthday vote buying had to be paid for somehow. No doubt those days Tories will get the blame. Every election they spend our money buying votes. The last two times they’ve done it by spending a third of the council’s reserves to pay for a big spending budget which they then can’t maintain and council tax goes up to pay for it. Remember the last election where they promised free swimming for pensioners? Within a couple of months of the election they cancelled it because there was no money. They treat us like fools and people still vote for them.