Brexit Party Candidates team up to offer Telford Pensioner free dental treatment.

The Brexit Party wants to put a smile back on the face of Kathleen, a Telford pensioner, who says she can’t afford to go to the dentist.

The woman, aged in her early 70s, told Brexit Party Prospective Parliamentary Candidate Elaine Adams that she lives on £167 a week and was angry that she just didn’t have enough money after paying weekly bills to be able to get a dental check up.

Now the local Brexit Party say they will give her free treatment if they can find her courtesy of dentist Christian Lucas who is standing against Wrekin MP Mark Pritchard in the forthcoming general election.

“I met Kathleen when we canvassed in the Southwater area of Telford Shopping Centre last month and I asked her what issues she felt strongly about. She told me she was angry that she just couldn’t afford or get any help to pay dental fees,” said Elaine (61), who is standing for the Telford constituency after living and working in the town for almost 40 years.

“The injustice of Kathleen’s plight struck me as being so wrong when we send almost £1 million every hour to the EU. Telford and Wrekin Council has had to cut its budget by £123 million over the past decade with more cuts on the way. Yet we are still sending £98m in foreign aid to India, a country with its own space programme and nuclear weapons.”

The pensioner became the subject of Elaine’s speech to 800 people at the September Brexit conference held in Telford attended by Nigel Farage which was live streamed to more than 50,000 people and watched later online by thousands more across the UK and worldwide.

“Christian has kindly offered to give her a free check up and any treatment she may need. It would be so good if Kathleen or someone who knows her could contact us,” said Elaine, who is campaigning for the Government to stop wasting taxpayers’ money and spend it where it is needed in the UK and in Telford.

If anyone knows Kathleen, they can email elaine.adams@thebrexitparty.org or send a message by facebook or twitter.

27 thoughts on “Brexit Party Candidates team up to offer Telford Pensioner free dental treatment

• October 12, 2019 at 10:35 am

If Kathleen only gets £167 per week she will be on benefits, therefore entitled to free dentistry!!! Maybe Kathleen does not exist that’s why you can’t find her

• October 12, 2019 at 10:48 am

My mom gets free dental treatment now so that’s weird I think we should have a free eye test and dental check up anyway and pay per prescription not per item

• October 12, 2019 at 11:08 am

And so leaving the EU is going to change the situation how? If anything the poorest in society will be worse off.

• October 12, 2019 at 11:43 am

That’s it blame foreigners. What a hateful party. Meanwhile British fat cat bosses are lapping up big bonuses, exploiting tax loopholes to avoid paying their fair share to help fund public services in this country. The EU wants to stop this, which is why the Brexit Party is betting against Britain, clinging onto their little tax haven. Scrapping inheritance tax for the wealthiest? That is only going to reduce government funds, squeezing council budgets even further. No thanks!

• October 12, 2019 at 11:59 am

I’m no expert on electoral law, but if Kathleen does exist, could this proposal not be tantamount to bribery? Replace “free dentistry” with “£100 cash” and it looks a bit dodgy?

• October 12, 2019 at 12:02 pm

If she’s not claiming benefits there is a form called HC1 she could fill out and send off, I’m sure age concern would help her.

• October 12, 2019 at 12:30 pm

I’m sure there’s a lot of hard working young people who can’t afford the dentist too !!!!!

• October 12, 2019 at 12:40 pm

Here’s a random idea, how about a policy that gives old people enough money to live on? Or is blaming foreigners just easier for you?

• October 12, 2019 at 12:56 pm

Surely TelfordLive should be fact checking things before posting them? Otherwise they are nothing more than a propaganda wing of the Brexit Party. This post is as disappointing as it is infuriating. Hopefully most, if not all, people see through this rubbish.

If we are playing a game of saying anything and it being believed at face value, without any support or evidence at all, then I met Kathleen and she actually said that the Brexit Party candidates were opportunists who were happy to prey on the vulnerable and ill informed to try and win votes. Thankfully, Kathleen didn’t buy it and told them to do one.

• October 12, 2019 at 2:33 pm

I am 68 and I don’t get free dental treatment!!
    Anyone under 66 wouldn’t get a pension and would be only on benefits

• October 12, 2019 at 2:51 pm

I turned vacuum off twice now and definitely running around especially i can hear in bathroom and my bedroom maybe Alan got visitors

• October 12, 2019 at 3:19 pm

Understandably with the current political climate there is a lot of cynicism, I get that. Anyone that knows Elaine knows that she is one of the most genuine women you will ever meet, the conversation she had with Kathleen is one she brings up in private a lot and it really affected her. I don’t know Kathleen but when Elaine asked if I could help of course I said yes. Now everyone on here has raised some really salient points. 1. Why is she not getting access to free care already – great point. In my experience the process of applying for the benefits that would qualify her for the care is a minefield. It seems purposefully set up to discourage.
    On top of this I an getting an increasing number of patients being fined £100 because they ticked the wrong benefits box or were unsure if they were entitled to free care, some of these people have learning difficulties and little support, its outrageous and has actually been shown to be a massive deterrent ( see link below).
    2. Health access should be free – we have lived through a decade of austerity and now its time for a Boris election there seems to be a lot of cash. NHS dentistry has been massively underfunded since about 2006 leading to many dentists leaving the NHS or the profession, access again is becoming an issue as there is a massive population growth but no new NHS dental contracts and so more and more frequently there is nowhere to go to see a dentist. The same is with GPs where you often have to wait 3 weeks for an 8 minute appointment.
    If I can help Kathleen because her situation affected Elaine I will, but I’m in this to help everyone. If you want the same old vote for the same old but the whole system needs reform and while politicians feel safe in their seats with the status quo itll only get worse.

• October 12, 2019 at 5:11 pm

I’m not a pensioner but also in desperate need of dental treatment which I can’t afford. Because my husband is a student we only get £180 a month universal credit due to his student loan and not entitled to any more help

• October 13, 2019 at 9:20 am

NHS dentistry was free for a grand total of 3 years before Churchill’s government introduced charges. Since then there have been a succession of conservative and labour governments and a lib dem coalition that have done nothing at all about it. Like I said previously. If you want something to change you have to change those who keep on doing the same old thing.

• October 13, 2019 at 2:54 pm

How much to get a small filling in UK? Around 350 dollars in Canada .

• October 13, 2019 at 3:23 pm

If I was Kathleen I’d be absolutely fuming that they didn’t seek my permission before using me as a front for their hateful campaign.

• October 13, 2019 at 6:02 pm

£1m per hour!!! What on?
    The whole of the NHS dentist needs re vamping. Not just over 70s ,people who work and are on a low income, also not all state benefits are entitled to free treatment .